The Florida Planned Parenthood PAC strives to create a state environment where access to health care doesn’t depend on who you are or where you live; where every Floridians has the opportunity to choose their own path to a healthy and meaningful life; and, where every person is empowered to make their own decisions about whether and when to have a child.
SAFE, LEGAL ABORTION
Get Politicians out of Personal, Medical Decisions
Protect access to safe, legal abortion. In the past 6 years, an unprecedented number of politically motivated abortion restrictions have been passed into state law, attempting to shut down abortion providers and putting politics ahead of health care. Our elected officials must prevent laws from passing that are clearly designed to undermine Roe v. Wade and access to safe, legal abortion.
- Reject policies that force abortion providers to provide medically inaccurate information and impose unnecessary restrictions that are clearly designed to limit access to abortion and even shut down health centers.
- Pass and enforce laws that protect doctors and patients from harassment, intimidation and violence.
- Oppose laws that shame and judge women for making the decision to access abortion.
Eliminate Inequality in Access to Sexual and Reproductive Health Care
Establish equal access to reproductive health care for people of color, immigrants, LGBTQ and low-income individuals. Laws that take away access to safe, legal abortion have a disproportionate impact on people of color, the poor and immigrants. By every measure of reproductive health- including maternal and infant mortality, rate of unintended pregnancy, the prevalence of HIV infection and sexually transmitted infections- people of color experience significant health disparities. Undocumented immigrants are prohibited from accessing basic health insurance coverage through Medicaid and Affordable Care Act plans. LGBTQ individuals’ reproductive health needs often go unmet by a system that has traditionally marginalized such health care. The Florida legislature should pass laws and policies focused on achieving health equity in reproductive health care regardless of a person’s income, and reject efforts to decrease or eliminate funding for reproductive health care.
Develop new programs focused on achieving health equity in reproductive health care.
Pass laws that stop discrimination in health care based on sex, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Give all young people access to quality sex education
Guarantee that all young people have access to quality sex education. As a result of quality sex education programs and better access to contraception, the U.S. has the lowest rates of teen pregnancy in recorded history. Despite this progress, our nation continues to have the highest rate of unintended teen pregnancy of any developed country, and significant disparities remain- with young people of color and LGBTQ youth experiencing higher rates of pregnancy and STDs than their peers. In addition, recent awareness about rates of sexual assault among all young people show the need for better sex education so that young people have the skills they need for engaging in healthy relationships.
- Support policies that fully fund quality sex education programs and ensure that all young people have access to sex education that is medically accurate, age appropriate and comprehensive, and taught by trained teachers.
- Demand that young people have the tools to build a better future and to make smart, informed choices about relationships, sex and pregnancy.